Best Health Benefits of GRAPEFRUIT
The grapefruit tree is subtropical, evergreen citrus, grown for its fruit which was first discovered in the forests of Caribbean island, Barbados. Not only refreshing and delicious, but grapefruit also has many great benefits as it is health-promoting and has disease-healing properties. so there are many benefits of grapefruit:
- Healthy Heart – Grapefruit is the first fresh produce item to receive the American Heart Association heart checkmark, designating foods low in sodium, cholesterol, and fat.
- Cholesterol – The high level of pectin fiber found in citrus fruits may also help to lower cholesterol.
- Disease Prevention – One-half of one medium grapefruit gives you 110 percent of the current recommended daily value of vitamin C you need each day. Vitamin C is an important anti-oxidant, blocking free radicals that damage cells. One-half of grapefruit also has more dietary fiber than many other popular fruits. Recent research has suggested it may help to prevent chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer.
- Potassium – A deficiency of potassium is sometimes caused by dehydration of diuretics such as coffee or tea. To overcome this loss, physicians recommend eating more foods that supply potassium like grapefruit, which equals seven percent of the recommended daily value.
- Cold Season – Research suggests that vitamin C may shorten the duration and/or lessen the severity of colds.
- Improve Your Smile – Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for healthy skin and gums.
- Digestive System – Grapefruit is also a good source of soluble fiber which is important for a healthy digestive system. If you have ever suffered from bloating, grapefruit may be a helpful solution. Its bitterness stimulates the secretion of the digestive fluid in the stomach.
Whilst they can sometimes be overlooked, the benefits of grapefruit are diverse and impressive. If you are after a refreshing and delicious snack, look no further than a grapefruit!