Best Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects of Cinnamon Supplements
Cinnamon Supplement Benefits
The medicinal properties of cinnamon have been known to mankind since ancient times. But still, it is mainly used in cooking, as a condiment, and as a flavoring agent. However, the results of some scientific studies have generated a growing interest in the use of cinnamon for therapeutic purposes. The following are some of the conditions in which cinnamon can be used as a herbal remedy.
- Cinnamon is found to have anti-clotting properties. Blood clotting is important to prevent excessive bleeding in the case of injury. However, too much clumping of blood platelets can prove harmful, as it can adversely affect the circulation of blood. The ‘cinnamaldehyde’ found in cinnamon can prevent unnecessary clumping of blood platelets.
- Cinnamon has been the traditional remedy for digestive ailments like upset stomach, flatulence, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Cinnamon supplements can boost the immune system. Usually, cinnamon powder is taken along with honey to strengthen the immune system. This is one of the most important honey and cinnamon benefits.
- Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties and it has been found to prevent the growth of bacteria and the fungus-like, ‘candida’. It has been observed that cinnamon extract can help to treat yeast infection.
- People with diabetes can also benefit from cinnamon supplements. Several studies in this regard have pointed out that cinnamon may help to regulate blood sugar and increase insulin sensitivity. This cinnamon health benefit can be attributed to the presence of the chemical, ‘hydroxy chalcone’.
- In traditional Chinese medicine, cinnamon is the warming tonic that can alleviate the common colds and coughs.
- Many people use cinnamon supplements for weight loss. Usually, honey and cinnamon are boiled together in a cup of water and then taken in the morning on an empty stomach to lose excess weight and prevent the accumulation of fats in the body.
- In addition to these, cinnamon can aid in lowering the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the body, reducing the pain of arthritis when applied topically, and alleviate toothaches. Women suffering from painful menstruation and menopause symptoms can also find cinnamon helpful. Find out more about honey and cinnamon for weight loss and cinnamon and diabetes to know about some other benefits of consuming cinnamon.
- Cinnamon is also a good source of fiber and minerals like iron, calcium, and manganese.
Cinnamon Supplement Side Effects
Side effects of cinnamon are mainly experienced by those, who use it excessively in order to derive the health benefits of cinnamon, as soon as possible. Cinnamon, especially the cassia cinnamon contains a compound known as ‘coumarin’, which is toxic in high concentration. Ceylon or true cinnamon contains negligible amounts of ‘coumarin’. But, it is the cassia cinnamon that is more commonly found in the market as a spice and also included in many supplements. Cassia cinnamon is known to contain comparatively high amounts of ‘coumarin’ than true cinnamon. A high level of coumarin can damage the liver and the kidney, for which excessive intake of cinnamon supplements should be strictly avoided. Cinnamon also has blood-thinning effects, for which it should not be taken along with anti-clotting medications like, warfarin. Even people having bleeding disorders should talk to their physician before taking cinnamon and its supplements for therapeutic purposes.
People taking diabetes medications should also take the permission of their physicians before taking cinnamon supplements. This is because cinnamon can lower blood sugar and the combined effect of both cinnamon and diabetes medications can result in a significant drop in blood sugar. On the other hand, pregnant and breastfeeding women should stay away from taking cinnamon to treat any kind of health problem. People with kidney diseases should also not take it without the approval of their physicians. Some other cinnamon side effects include skin irritation or contact dermatitis, which is experienced when cinnamon is applied topically.
To sum up, supplements of cinnamon need to be taken with caution. It is also important to avoid cheap supplements, in order to avoid any kind of serious side effects. Before purchasing supplements, try to find out the best cinnamon supplement by going through the reviews of various products. In general, it is always safe to purchase any kind of supplementation from a reputed manufacturer. Lastly, do not forget to consult your physician before taking any dietary and herbal supplements including, the supplements of cinnamon.