Best 17 Flu Remedy to Feel Better
Flu or influenza is a highly contagious disease. The virus is airborne. Hence it’s dubbed a bug. It also bugs you with its unwelcome house calls and persists in being an unwanted house guest. Usually, it makes the rounds of the family. If you share the same air, you share the same bug.
The flu isn’t just the common cold. It can be accompanied by high fever, chills, aches, headaches, sore throat, cough, watery eyes, sniffles, and general weakness overall. The long and short of it is that you feel lousy. Flu has serious fatalities in the very young and the aged.
Preventive medicine is the best protection. Here are some warring strategies to fend off the flu bug.
1) Rest in warm, airy rooms.
2) Stay home whenever possible if you are struck by a bug. This contains the bug and prevents an epidemic.
3) Drink plenty of fluids to replenish your losses.
4) Take Panadol/paracetamol and cough mixture to ease your misery. Since the doctor doesn’t recommend prescribing antibiotics, you may as well save some money by just buying off-the-counter drugs. Read labels carefully to self-administer dosages.
5) If you fall into one of the high-risk categories like heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure, asthma, or chronic lung disorder, then you need to get antibiotics.
6) Be prepared to cope with the side effects of flu medication like nausea, drowsiness, and impaired vision. Driving and operation of machinery are out.
7) If you have reason to believe that you may contract flu but would like to prevent it, get a flu shot. This is off-limits to those with egg allergies and women within the first three months of pregnancy.
8) Maintain a balanced diet. Fresh vegetables and fruits provide vitamins and minerals to boost your immunity system.
9) Exercise regularly to improve your blood circulation.
10) Avoid smoking and smoke pollution. The haze also carries flu bugs.
11) Wash hands thoroughly before handling food. Flu bugs are unsavory in the aftermath.
12) Supplement your diet with antioxidants. These are boosters for your immune system.
13) Sorry to mention this but you should avoid coming into contact with people with flu.
14) Same goes for you. If you are down with flu, stay away from the crowd. You don’t want to be remembered for causing a flu epidemic.
15) Relaxation is an alternative remedy. If you are stressed out, your body’s defense is also out and this gives the flu bug easier access.
16) A warm bath soothes bad aches and clears sniffles. If you are afraid of getting the shivers, soak your feet in a pail of hot water. Add a few drops of rosemary or sage essential oil and soak your nose too.
17) Endorphins are natural boosters in our immune system. Practice music therapy. Listening to your favorite tunes alleviates your mood and encourages the production of more endorphins.